Reserve Police Officer Program
Have you been wanting to volunteer, but haven’t been able to find the right organization? Are you interested in helping Las Vegas be a safer place to live and visit? Have you been considering a career in law enforcement and want to obtain some experience?
The Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department (LVMPD) now offers a Reserve Police Officer Program for those who meet the requirements. Reserve Police Officer is an unpaid, at-will, commissioned volunteer position which, after thorough training, performs police work in any of the LVMPD’s patrol areas.
To qualify, interested individuals must:
- • Be at least 21 years old by the date of the first exam.
- • Be a U.S. citizen by the date of the first exam.
- • Possess a high school diploma or G.E.D. certificate by the date of the first exam.
- • Have NO convictions of any felony crime, or a crime for which you would be required to register, per Nevada law.
- • Have NO convictions of any crime involving Domestic Violence.
- • Possess a valid Nevada driver’s license by the first day of in-processing as a volunteer.
- • Be neat and clean in their appearance in public, whether in or out of uniform. Therefore, applicants with visible tattoos, brandings, and/or body piercing in areas of the body which cannot be covered by the appropriate dress required of this position will be disqualified. Such markings may not be concealed using make-up or bandages. Further, tattoos or branding anywhere on the body that promote racism/discrimination, indecency, extremist or supremacist philosophies, lawlessness, violence, or contain sexually explicit material are prohibited. Applicants with gauged earlobes will also be disqualified if not corrected by their background interview.
Interested individuals meeting the above requirements will participate in a comprehensive testing process, similar to Police Recruit, which is outlined at http://www.protectthecity.com/join.html.
Upon successful completion of the testing process, selected individuals will attend a 420-hour Reserve Police Officer Academy, offered during two evenings (5 hours each) and on Saturdays (10 hours), to accommodate full-time work and college schedules. Upon successful completion of this Academy, individuals will receive their commissioned status and a basic State of Nevada Reserve Officer POST Certificate, authorizing them to exercise police powers when formally assigned by the LVMPD to perform the duties of a peace officer. Reserve Police Officers may carry weapons under the authority of the LVMPD while on duty.
These individuals will then participate in a 200-hour Field Training Program (FTEP), under the supervision of a Field Training Officer. During FTEP, the Reserve Police Officer will be further trained in the application of the knowledge gained during the Academy to real life situations on the street.
Once these individuals have successfully completed FTEP, they will be assigned to a patrol area command and will work with an experienced Police Officer in performing law enforcement duties.
Reserve Police Officers are required to volunteer a minimum of twenty (20) hours each month, in addition to attending training, in order to remain current on law enforcement and Department policies and procedures. The LVMPD is required to operate 24 hours a day, 7 days per week. Reserve Police Officers will be assigned to an area and shift based upon operational need and the availability of the Reserve Police Officer.
HOW TO BECOME A RESERVE POLICE OFFICER
If you are interested in this exciting opportunity, click the “Employment” link at the top right of this site (www.lvmpd.com) and submit an:
1) Employment application, when the position is open, by clicking the “Open Competitive” button and the “Apply to this Job” link OR
2) Interest pool application (formerly “interest card”), when the position is not open, by clicking the “Interest Pool” button and the “Apply to this Job” link.
An interest pool application lets the LVMPD know you are interested in becoming a Reserve Police Officer. One to two weeks prior to the opening of this position, you will be notified, by email, of the upcoming opening date when employment applications will be accepted. AN INTEREST POOL APPLICATION IS NOT AN EMPLOYMENT APPLICATION. Interest pool applications will remain on file until December 3, 2013 and then will require resubmission.
First time users of the LVMPD employment site must create a user account before submitting an employment or interest pool application, by clicking the “Employment” link at the top right of this site and the "Create Account" link located on the left-hand column, and then following the prompts. (Please remember your log-in information for future access to your account.)
For questions or additional information on this new and exciting program, please click on the below “Frequently Asked Questions” link or email the LVMPD Recruiting Office at email@example.com.
Reserve Police Officer - Frequently Asked Questions