Download the 90 Day Physical Fitness Training Plan
Physical fitness will play a huge role in your career as a Police or Corrections Officer. Not only because of health reasons, but also because of the role fitness plays in the day-to-day, job-related tasks you will be asked to perform.
The first step in the physical fitness process to become an Officer is to pass the LVMPD New Hire Physical Fitness Exam. This Exam is the same for both Police Recruit and Corrections Recruit. This Exam is also the same one candidates must successfully complete just prior to entering the Academy. Therefore, it is critical that you achieve optimal physical fitness not only to pass the initial hiring exam, but also to succeed in the Academy and once in the position.
- Vertical Jump – Minimum of a 14 inch jump.
- Agility Run – Completed start to finish in 19.5 seconds or less.
- Sit Up – 30 correct repetitions in 1 minute.
- Push Up – 23 correct repetitions with no time limit.
- 300 Meter Run – Completed start to finish in 68 seconds or less.
- 1.5 Mile Run – Completed start to finish in 16 minutes 57 seconds or less.
Police and Correction Recruit Physical Fitness Video
The standards for this exam are in no way indicative of what will be expected of you in the Police or Corrections Academy physically. Much more will be expected. They are merely a first step which helps us determine if you are ready to proceed in the process per required POST Standards.
We strongly recommend you take advantage of the following provided resources before you consider testing for the LVMPD.
- Physical Training Preparation Seminars – Check the “Seminars and Events” section of the home page and you will find a schedule which typically runs on Tuesday mornings and Thursday afternoons. LVMPD Fitness Trainers will put you through voluntary workouts including Cardiovascular Training, Speed and Agility Training, Flexibility, Strength Training, and more. The sessions are free and you can attend them as much and as often as you like. You will have to sign a waiver of liability upon arrival to each session.
- 90-Day Physical Fitness Program – If you are from out of town or cannot make the PT Prep Seminars, we recommend you begin following our 90-day program. This program is designed to guide you through your training for the New Hire PT Test and the Academy. Your recruiter can answer questions for you via email, if you need guidance.
The LVMPD Recruitment Team consistently is asked what many of the exercises look like which are referred to in the 90-Day PT Program. For this reason, we have produced videos to assist you in performing these exercises correctly. These are some of the same routines you will complete daily in the Police and Corrections Academies. The exercises depicted are for demonstration purposes only and do not offer specific instructions. If you would like hands-on instruction, please contact your recruiter or attend one of our scheduled PT Prep Seminars.
WATCH THE PHYSICAL FITNESS PREPARATION VIDEOS HERE